“On safari, everyone remembers to take a camera — although many people neglect the mandatory 400mm lens — forgetting that the truly essential piece of equipment is a pair of good binoculars. Friends who own safari camps have traditionally sworn by Leitz products. However, if money is no object, I suggest you opt for Swarovski’s EL 8.5×42. Also remember to take your own bird identification books and field guides: The lodges never have enough copies.” – A.H.
Here is a suggested packing list for an African safari:
What to Pack
- Swarovski EL 8.5×42 binoculars
- Canon 400mm camera lens
- Tumi soft luggage for light airplanes (there are weight and size restrictions)
- Filson multi-purpose carry-on piece
- Ralph Lauren safari clothing in light neutral colors for breathability and coverage
- Ray-Ban Craft Outdoorsman sunglasses
- A few good books and the obligatory field guide if you plan to bird watch
- Williams-Sonoma travel corkscrew to enjoy the spectacular South African wines
- Platter’s South African wine guide for the iPhone
View the guidebook and product details on Andrew Harper’s Pinterest.