Mr. Harper's Safari Suitcase
"On safari, everyone remembers to take a camera — although many people neglect the mandatory 400mm lens — forgetting that the truly essential piece of equipment is a pair of good binoculars. Friends who own safari camps have traditionally sworn by Leitz products. However, if money is no object, I suggest you opt for Swarovski’s EL 8.5×42. Also remember to take your own bird identification books and field guides: The lodges never have enough copies." – A.H.
Here is a suggested packing list for an African safari:
What to Pack
- Swarovski EL 8.5x42 binoculars
- Canon 400mm camera lens
- Tumi soft luggage for light airplanes (there are weight and size restrictions)
- Filson multi-purpose carry-on piece
- Ralph Lauren safari clothing in light neutral colors for breathability and coverage
- Ray-Ban Craft Outdoorsman sunglasses
- A few good books and the obligatory field guide if you plan to bird watch
- Williams-Sonoma travel corkscrew to enjoy the spectacular South African wines
- Platter's South African wine guide for the iPhone View the guidebook and product details on
Travel Like Andrew Harper
Register for FREE as an Andrew Harper Explorer and gain access to exclusive hotel benefits, special offers and receive a monthly email filled with travel inspiration.